What to do when someone dies

When someone dies, contact us straight away and we can guide you through the next steps. Whether someone dies at home, in a nursing home or in hospital you’ll need to arrange for a doctor to fill in a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death.

If the death is sudden

Things are a bit different if the death is unexpected. The emergency doctor or police will call in a specialist to find out exactly why and how the person died. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, that’s the Coroner. In Scotland, the Procurator Fiscal does that job.  Contact us as soon as you can.

We can explain what’s happening and keep in touch with the Coroner or Procurator Fiscal for you.

Abroad, or away from home

If the person needs to be brought back to the UK from anywhere else in the world, or brought from home from a different part of the UK, then you can get in touch with us straight away. We can help with all the practicalities, like arranging transport.

If they’ve already paid for the funeral

If you think the person might have bought one of our Pre-paid Funeral Plans, let us know and we can check for you.